Are You Registered to Vote?

A General Election is coming. Are you registered to vote? Are you a student who will be away from home at election time? Act now to ensure that your vote counts.

Register to vote via

You only need to register once - you do not need to register separately for every election.

You must register again if you’ve changed address, name or nationality.

You can also use this service to:

  • change the way you vote - for example in person, by post or by proxy
  • get on or off the open register

It usually takes about 5 minutes.

What you’ll need

You may need the following, if you have them:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your passport if you’re a British citizen living abroad, and want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales

There’s a different process to register anonymously, for example if you’re concerned about your safety.

Start your registration now


Students - do you need a proxy vote?

Students can register to vote in their university constituency but can also remain registered at their home address (but can only vote once!) You may not have time to register once you arrive at university so to make sure you can vote if you’re unable to vote in person you can ask someone to vote on your behalf. This is called a proxy vote.

Who can act as a proxy

You can ask anyone to act as your proxy - as long as they’re registered to vote and they’re allowed to vote in the same type of election. This could include parents or siblings.

You can be a proxy for 2 people at the same election, or more if the extra people are close relatives.

If you want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales

Usually, you need to apply for a proxy vote at least 6 working days before election day if you want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales.

Choose the proxy voting application form for the reason you cannot vote in person. You can download a form in English or Welsh for when:

  • you’ll be away
  • you’ll be at work
  • you’ll be attending a course
  • you’re disabled
  • you’re living overseas
  • you’re serving overseas as a member of the armed forces
  • you’re a British Council employee or Crown servant (for example diplomatic or overseas civil service)

Send the completed form to your local Electoral Registration Office.


Its your vote - don't lose it!

Share this post on social media:

Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Email.

Twitter latest