At North Norfolk District Council's cabinet meeting this morning, our leader Sarah Bütikofer sadly tendered her resignation.
This was not unexpected given the arduous eighteen months she has suffered in her personal life, and we wanted to take the opportunity to remind our members and supporters of the enormous amount she has achieved for the Liberal Democrats, and the people of North Norfolk, in her more than three years of leadership:
- Negotiating and forming an administration with Independents when the Conservatives lost overall control in 2018
- Setting the vision and strategy for the district council campaign in 2019 which resulted in our winning 75% of seats on the council
- Leading North Norfolk through what has been one of the most difficult periods of local government in living memory, and putting the council on the national map for successful delivery of covid-19 support
- Making North Norfolk the first Council in Norfolk to declare a Climate Emergency, with significant progress, despite covid-19, on things like electric vehicle charge points and tree planting
- Purchasing 16 properties for temporary accommodation, getting our homeless residents out of bed and breakfasts and into their own homes for a new start
- Overseeing the opening of a brand new, state of the art leisure facility in Sheringham in a period where public facilities across the country are being closed down
- Delivering a balanced budget, with a freeze on council tax in the year that the pandemic hit hardest
For this, and much more that she and the team she led have achieved, we are enormously grateful. We wish Sarah and her husband Pierre well in his medical treatment and look forward to her wisdom and experience on the back benches in the near future.